Kidjie (She/Her)

Actress, Writer, Student to Life
Hello! I am an actress, writer, mental health advocate, Black feminist, and constantly trying to learn and expand.

Kidjie About Me Draft 1

Hey everyone, here is a draft of my About me. I'm open to feedback. (please be kind yet constructive) thanks! Feedback can include: initial thoughts and what struck you most. 

ABOUT ME
HELLO! Welcome to my YouTube Channel! Just kidding. We are clearly not on YouTube, but I’m glad you found your way here. Welcome to a piece of my universe on the Internet. I’m Kidjie Boyer and let me tell you about myself.

In the beginning….
My first name was inspired by the effervescent African singer, Angelique Kidjo. I was born and raised in Miami, FL. I'm a proud daughter of two native-born Haitian entrepreneurs, and I am based in Chicago, IL. A large chunk of my childhood was spent in front of a television. Every chance I had to pop in a VHS I did! I just sat back and watched story after story unfold. Could I have read more books instead? Questionable….debatable...however having a dad that was a movie buff only encouraged me to continue tuning in. The variety in expression, imagination, and execution that TV and movies offered seemed like the playground I wanted to be in. From elementary school to high school, I participated in drama and musical theatre.  But after a while kicking my face, TRYING (emphasis on TRYING) to hit high notes and geeking out over the Golden Age era of the American Musical Theatre was not something that felt important or realistic to me. The longer I stayed, the more limited and unlike myself, I began to feel. I didn’t want to stop acting I just wanted to close the door on musical theatre.

Then What?
My world opened up when I got to The Theatre School at DePaul University in Chicago, IL. Unlike high school, I was pursuing acting in college. I traded in my libretto for an Anthology of Contemporary African-American plays. My time at the Theatre School made me conscious of mental health awareness, ableism, radical self-love, race vs culture, power systems, inclusivity, womanhood, Blackness, whiteness, #metoo, classism, Black feminism, gender violence, climate change. I mean folx… I pretty much had an awakening. For once in my life, I was sharing space with people, attending events, and sitting in conversations, that were so nuanced, complex, and not easily digestible. Sounds terrifying, huh? As the late great Frederick Douglass said “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” The way the world is unfolding and threatening my very existence requires me to be a conscious artist and not just a puppet. My training has inspired me to move slower, think deeper, and pursue with intentionality and thoughtfulness. 

Who Is She Now? 
I am a multidisciplinary performance artist. What do I mean exactly? I am an actress trained in theatre, on-camera, and voiceover. I have experience writing spoken word poetry and short scenes. If the project requires it I can move like a boiled spaghetti to Solange Knowles’s music. I can make some laugh, but I do not identify as a comedian. I am constantly expanding, learning new skills, and keeping up with the times. A few qualities any client or collaborator would surely catch is my professionalism, open-mindedness, creativity, collaboration, communication skills, and consistency. 

Happy Black History Folx! I need a touch of help. I'm graduating soon and need some financial assistance to transition out of school and get me started. It would me a lot to me if you can donate and/or share my link. Thank ya!

For more details: https://gofund.me/a1a91346
Like Comment

Hello, Hello

Hello hello everyone, I'm Kidjie and I'm from Miami, FL and based in Chicago, IL. 

What brought you here?
 I took Jay's Freelancing course on Linkedin Learning, I reached out to him to thank him for his helpful content and then  he directed me here. Glad he did!

What kind of work do you do?
I'm an actress and writer. I'm trying to learn new skills so I can be more multifaceted in both entertainment and the sides hustles I want to pursue. For example, for entertainment I'm diving into voiceover work and self taping. For side hustles, I'm getting a business minor and researching other ways I can make multiple sources of income.

What is the biggest challenge you're facing right now?
 I'm graduating soon and need some funds to help start my career. If you can donate and/or share my Gofund me page I would truly appreciate it! 😇

https://www.gofundme.com/f/transition-out-of-college?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Where can we follow you online? (blog, social, etc...)
Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin: @KidjieBoyer

BONUS: What is one of your favorite things on the internet?
One of my favorite things on the internet right now is Evelyn from the Internets on Youtube. She is inspirational and HILARIOUS! It's important to find joy and laughter during the pandemic. She does it for me.💐🌟

Like Comment